Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wild Hearts - grade 2

I've been trying really hard to come up more of my own lessons, rather than finding them online. This is one that I came up with this week, and I'm very proud of it! I wanted to do something Valentines-y with my grade 2's, and decided it would be fun to do linking Wild Hearts using oil pastels.

I showed my students how to draw a  heart, and how to fill up the page with linking hearts (making sure that they didn't create tiny sections that would be too hard to paint.) After they had drawn the hearts, they came to me to select a piece of wild paper. We talked about how to select your paint color - you don't want to pick something that clashes with your paper color, and you want to pick two colors that compliment each other.

Each of their colors would represent a section in their heart - one color would be used to paint the larger section of any heart, and one color for the smaller section. For the most part, this seemed to keep the colors separated. I demonstrated on the board how to pick.

After they had painted, they washed up their brushes and cleaned their desk. By the time they had finished that, their paper was basically dry, so they began cutting out the hearts. When they glued them onto the paper, it made a wonderful Wild Hearts picture! This took one hour long period to complete, and would be great for a supply teacher as well (colored in with markers instead.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your heart project! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/wild-hearts/

    If you have other kid-friendly craft tutorials, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a cool project idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...