Friday, December 7, 2012

Fall Owls - grade 1/2

Aren't owls the cutest? I did these back in October/November with my first and second graders, but haven't had a chance to post them until now. I had wanted to do an owl project, so I did some googling and found this one, which I loved. I changed some elements of the project, including not making it about symmetry - I focused more on just working with the oil pastels, which some of the first graders had never used before. They drew using pencil, on black construction paper, then colored in their drawings with oil pastels. This project took them 2 periods of 40 minutes to complete. I really love that they had the persistence to finish coloring them in, including the backgrounds - that can be a daunting task when you're only 6 years old, so they did a fantastic job!






Love the nest on this last one - such great detail with the wispy pieces coming out!

Aren't oil pastels the greatest? Easy cleanup, work perfectly on construction paper, and they produce such great results. What are some of your favorite mediums to work with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...